Whey plus HMB boosts recovery more than whey alone:
Adding the amino acid derivative beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB) and the disaccharide sweetener isomaltulose to whey protein powder improves recovery from demanding exercise, researchers have found.
The study saw a reduction in indirect markers: muscle damage, reductions in muscle soreness and improved physical performance in the HMB group compared to the control group on whey protein powder alone. The study was published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition.
HMB is a metabolite of leucine, a branched-chain amino acid (BCAA) found in whey protein.
The study was conducted by the Department of Human Sciences, The Ohio State University and the Human Performance Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, The University of Connecticut.
Source: Journal of the American College of Nutrition
Published online, 11 March 2015, Volume 34, Issue 2, 2015, Pages 91-99
Authors: William J. Kraemer et al
ISSN position statement on HMB for sports nutrition
The International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN) has issued a position paper for the use of beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB) as a nutritional supplement.
Writing in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition , Jacob Wilson from the University of Tampa et al. outline their nine conclusions after reviewing the literature on HMB, a metabolite of the branched chain amino acid leucine.
1. HMB can enhance recovery by reducing muscle damage during exercise in both trained and untrained individuals.
2. An athlete will benefit from consuming HMB in close proximity to their workout.
3. The supplement is most effective when consumed for two weeks prior to an exercise bout.
4. The dose of 38 mg per kg of body mass per day of HMB has been demonstrated to enhance skeletal muscle strength, and power
5. There are currently two forms of HMB used: Calcium HMB (HMB-Ca) and a free acid form of HMB (HMB-FA). The science relating to HMB-FA is in its infancy, and there is currently insufficient evidence support if one form is superior than the other.
6. There are also benefits for the elderly, with HMB reported to increase lean body mass and functionality in the elderly.
7. HMB supplements in combination with an exercise regime may enhance fat loss.
8. The ingredient works by inhibiting and increasing proteolysis and protein synthesis, respectively.
9. The ingredient is safe for both young and old populations when consumed chronically.
Source: Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition
2013, 10:6 doi:10.1186/1550-2783-10-6
”International Society of Sports Nutrition Position Stand: beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB)”
Authors: J.M. Wilson, P.J. Fitschen, B. Campbell, et al.