7 tips for loosing weight over Christmas
Guilty of overeating during the holidays? Here are 7 simple ways to help you make it happen and work off the unwanted weight gained over Christmas.
1. Drink 2-4 litres of water per day. People often mistake thirst for hunger, so next time you feel like eating, reach for water first. Drinking also helps you feel full and is equally important when you are exercising to help you remain hydrated when you’re sweating.
2. Set realistic goals. Instead of trying to reach the finish line straight away, think of taking baby steps to achieving your desired goal.
3. Eat small but often. Tracking your macros and ensuring you are on a calorie deficit is the most efficient way of losing weight. However, for the more time starved, eating small meals often is a great place to start. Stay away from too many carbs, trans fats and eat plenty of greens.
4. Make weekly resolutions. Don’t try to overhaul your diet overnight. If you make too many changes at once, chances are you’ll get frustrated and throw in the towel. Instead, make one change, such as eating at least one piece of fruit daily, every week.
5. Write notes to yourself. To help you stay on track, post notes to yourself on the fridge and the pantry. Put up a little stop sign or make tags with questions like “Do you want this food enough to wear it?” and “Are the calories worth the consequences?”
6. Make smart substitutions. Look for nutritious low-calorie alternatives to sugary, high-fat treats. Try frozen grapes instead of candy. Use air-popped popcorn instead of oil-popped. Dip fresh strawberries in fat-free fudge sauce for a sensuous chocolaty treat.
7. Think positively. Experts note that low self-esteem is a major cause of overeating. Train yourself to focus on your best points rather than your weak spots. Buy clothes that fit and flatter you at your current weight. Update your hairstyle and get a makeup consultation so you feel attractive today.